printUse ctrl + p to print the page
- Read about the ISSD Africa Synthesis Conference
- Take an In-Depth Look at the Project
- Download an Outline of the Pilot Phase
- Take a Look at ISSD Africa's Partners
- ISSD Africa Newsletter Archive
The goal of ISSD Africa Programme is to support the development of a market-oriented, pluralistic, vibrant and dynamic seed sector in Africa for providing both female and male smallholder farmers access to quality seed of superior varieties.
The Programme uses the ISSD approach, which has been endorsed by the African Union Commission as contributing to the implementation of the African Seed and Biotechnology Programme (ASBP) and the seed agenda of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP).
The two-year Pilot Phase of ISSD Africa will experiment with and explore ways to address four themes defined by complex challenges that hamper seed sector development at local or national levels, but by their specific nature need to be tackled at the continental level.
Each of these themes is addressed by a dedicated Thematic Working Group (TWG):
- Common challenges to promoting entrepreneurship in seed value chain
- Access to varieties in the public domain
- Matching global commitments with national realities
- Supporting the AUC CAADP, ASBP and seed sector development
The ISSD Africa programme will complement and reinforce the work of national and regional seed programmes and will analyse and document lessons from a diversity of intervention strategies and innovative approaches to feed into seed policy and programming at all levels.
The Pilot Phase of ISSD Africa is funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and the Ministry of Economic Affairs of the Netherlands,
ISSD Africa periodically distributes digital newsletters with the latest updates and news. Click here to access the archive and join the mailing list
ISSD Africa Synthesis Papers
- Synthesis Paper: Making business out of low profit seed
- Synthesis Paper: Effective seed quality assurance
- Synthesis Paper: Financing Seed Business
- Synthesis Paper: Access to foundation seed of varieties in the public domain
- Synthesis Paper: Access to information on varieties in the public domain
- Synthesis Paper: Public variety use agreements
- Synthesis Paper: Creating space for ‘informal’ seed systems in a plant variety protection system that is based on UPOV 1991
- Synthesis Paper: Access and benefit-sharing policies for climate-resilient seed systems
- Synthesis Paper: The support for farmer-led seed systems in African seed laws
ISSD Africa National Seminars
Throughout 2016, multiple National Seminars have been held across African countries in which ISSD Africa is completing Action Learning Projects.
ISSD Africa National Activity Posters
During the ISSD Africa Synthesis Conference in Nairobi, September 2016, ISSD Africa Country Focal Points (CFPs) presented the activities completed in each of their ten countries over the two years of the piloting phase.